THE CHARTER OF WORLD INTERPRETER AND TRANSLATOR TRAINING ASSOCIATION
(For Trial Implementation as of November 2016)
Representatives from world-renowned colleges and universities, prestigious academic journals and sci-tech enterprises convened in Guangzhou, China on November 19th, 2016, officially announcing the establishment of the World Interpreter and Translator Training Association.
The Charter is formulated on the basis of the spirit embodied in the World Interpreter and Translator Training Association (WITTA) Guangzhou Declaration.
I – General Provisions
Article 1 Name
“世界翻译教育联盟”is the official name in Chinese of the association and “World Interpreter and Translator Training Association” (hereinafter referred to as “WITTA”) is the official name in English.
Article 2 Nature
WITTA is a non-governmental and non-profit international association. It is an academic institution and a cooperative organization dedicated to the world’s interpreter and translator training and scientific research.
Article 3 Membership
Any institution, including colleges and universities, research institutes, academic journals, science and technology enterprises, professional organizations and governmental departments, that is dedicated to advancing the internationalization of the world’s interpreter and translator training and education, can apply for the membership of WITTA.
Article 4 Address of Headquarters and Secretariat
The headquarters of WITTA is based in Guangzhou of Guangdong Province, the People’s Republic of China. The secretariat of WITTA is based at Guangdong University of Foreign Studies.
II – Vision, Mission and Significance
Article 5 Vision
WITTA endeavors to build an international community of interpreter and translator education, research and technological services by taking advantage of the interdisciplinary role of translation studies in the integration of languages and cultures. WITTA aims to create a platform for promoting interpreter and translator education and research, development of training resources, and collaborations amongst its members. WITTA also strives to establish a number of centers of worldwide influence for cross-cultural communications, academic exchanges, research on translation education, translator training, development of teaching materials, convention and exhibition, as well as language services.
Article 6 Mission
WITTA will help and support its members to accelerate their educational internationalization, enhance their global influence and become a key player in the international community. WITTA also aims to, against the background of interdisciplinary integration, promote international exchange, alignment and commercialization of research results and findings by enterprises, universities and research institutes, so as to develop a new international education system in step with the trend of future development.
III – Scope of Work
Article 7 Scope of Work
1. WITTA holds councils, seminars and symposia to promote ties between governments, associations, enterprises and its members.
2. WITTA sets up a global network and a dynamic pool of human resources to enhance its capacity for serving the international community.
3. WITTA selects and authorizes institutes to provide various services of interpreter and translator education such as international scientific research, training of translation trainers, development of teaching materials, cultural exchange and itinerant exhibitions.
4. WITTA pulls together various resources to build up an international platform of service and innovation for advancing the construction of key disciplines and the development of regional economies. WITTA plays a dual role of academic agency and industrial broker so as to further the integration of quality resources of the world’s leading colleges and universities and promote the exchange, abutment and commercialization of their research results and findings. WITTA also aims to promote the international multilateral co-operation on incubation, exhibition, negotiation and trade of science and technology achievements.
IV – Admission and Withdrawal
Article 8 Conditions for Admission
1. The applicant shall undertake to observe the Charter of WITTA;
2. The applicant shall be ready to contribute to the world’s interpreter and translator education.
3. The applicant will submit an application for admission to be approved by the Council.
Article 9 Procedures for Admission
1. The applicant shall fill in a WITTA Membership application form and submit it to the Secretariat for review.
2. The application shall be discussed and approved by the Council.
3. The Council, or the Secretariat upon authorization from the Council, shall issue a WITTA membership certificate.
Article 10 Procedures for Withdrawal
1. A member who desires to withdraw from WITTA shall submit a written application to the Secretariat.
2. The application shall be reviewed by the Secretariat and discussed and if appropriate, approved by the Council.
3. The member shall sign an agreement of withdrawal and return the membership certificate to the Secretariat.
4. A member shall be deemed to have withdrawn from WITTA if the member fails to pay the membership fees or participate in activities of WITTA for two consecutive years. Under the said circumstance, the member shall be disqualified and be required to return the membership certificate to the Secretariat, and the said withdrawal will be publicized for 15 days on the official website of WITTA.
V – Rights and Obligations
Article 11 Rights of Members
1. Members shall have rights to join or withdraw from WITTA.
2. Members shall have rights to speak and vote at WITTA meetings, and have rights to elect and be elected at the Council.
3. Members shall have rights to participate in, criticize, advise on and supervise the daily affairs of WITTA.
4. Members shall have rights to advise on and apply for the organization of all types of seminars and symposia initiated by WITTA.
5. Members shall have rights to participate in all types of activities of different levels organized by WITTA.
6. Members shall have rights to access the financial information of WITTA.
7. Members shall, upon authorization, have rights to use in priority the official database and information of WITTA.
8. Members shall, upon authorization, have rights to publicize and promote their products and services at the official website of WITTA.
9. Members shall, upon authorization, have rights to disseminate information about their projects via the global network developed by WITTA.
10. Members shall have rights to authorize WITTA to hold symposia on education and scientific research with which they are concerned.
11. Members shall have rights to authorize WITTA to conduct regional and global investigations and analyses on programs of cultivating international talents.
12. Members shall have rights to authorize WITTA to recommend and train translation and interpreting teachers and talents.
13. Members shall have rights to apply for organizing or sponsoring the activities initiated by WITTA.
Article 12 Obligations of Members
1. Members shall observe the Charter of WITTA and protect its rights and interests.
2. Members shall implement resolutions made by WITTA and complete tasks assigned by WITTA.
3. Members shall actively participate in and alternately organize or co-organize activities initiated by WITTA.
4. Members shall have full respect for intellectual property rights owned by other members.
5. Members shall pay membership fees and activity fees on schedule.
6. Members shall provide WITTA with authentic and credible information and data.
7. Members shall perform other duties prescribed by WITTA.